Nominations for the 2017 Missouri Arts Awards will open in summer 2016.
For your reference for those nominations, this page details the process as it was used for the 2016 awards. Those awards will be presented in a ceremony at the Capitol in Jefferson City on February 10, 2016.
Nominees must be current Missouri residents or a Missouri-based organization or community. Nominees in the Philanthropic category may be a non-Missouri residents but their philanthropy being honored must benefit a nonprofit Missouri arts organization. Review the list of prior award recipients to make sure your nominee hasn't already been honored. You may submit your nomination and electronic support material online. No mail submissions will be considered.
Missouri Arts Council board members and staff, the selection committee and their families, and past Missouri Arts Awards recipients are not eligible to be nominated.
The total contribution or body of work of the nominee and the effect this effort has produced on the cultural climate of the city, region and/or state of Missouri are the primary criteria utilized in the selection of the award recipients.
Submit an online nomination form here.
1. Contact information for BOTH nominee and nominator (including name, address, city, state, zip, email and phone number).
2. The category in which they are nominated.
- Arts Education - An individual or organization that has made a significant contribution to arts education either through enhancing the education curriculum within the school system or through creating educational opportunities in the arts outside of the school setting.
- Arts Organization - An organization that produces, presents or serves the arts.
- Creative Community - A community (municipality, village or town, business district, tax district, neighborhood association, etc.) that uses the arts to promote economic growth, tourism, business and/or resident attraction, or civic growth.
- Individual Artist- An artist active in the field of traditional/folk arts, electronic media arts, literature, visual arts, or performing arts.
- Leadership in the Arts - An individual who has influenced arts policy and/or issues, but is not an artist.
- Philanthropy - An individual, organization, foundation, or corporation that has demonstrated leadership in funding or raising money for the arts.
3. The significance and/or magnitude of the nominee’s contribution to the arts. The populations served and recognition brought by virtue of the nominee's achievements.
4. The length of time and/or intensity of the activity dedicated to the arts.
Nominators may include additional materials, for example, resume, support letters, and news clippings, to illustrate the nominee's contribution to the arts. All supplemental materials must be in electronic form (pdf, txt, or Word document file). Maximum length seven pages.
Nominators may submit multiple nominations. In case of multiple categories for the same nominee, please submit a separate nomination form, narrative, and supplemental materials for each category. Ensure that the narrative and supplemental materials are tailored for each category.
Nominations are due by noon, Monday, August 31, 2015. Submit here online.
The Missouri Arts Awards are selected by an independent panel of distinguished representatives of Missouri’s arts community. The selection of the panel members ensures statewide representation. The designated panel reserves the right to close an award category if nominations do not meet specified criteria. The panel selects a limited number of recipients who are honored during a special recognition ceremony in Jefferson City.
Missouri Arts Awards recipients will be selected by committee and approved at the MAC board meeting in late October. Nominators will be informed in writing. The chosen recipients will be honored during a special ceremony on February 10, 2016 at the Missouri State Capitol in Jefferson City, usually presided over by the Governor and First Lady.
Contact Virginia Sanders, Missouri Arts Awards Coordinator, at 314-340-6851, TDD 800-735-2966, or email@example.com.
Photo: Karen Colton-Millsap, director, Mt. Vernon Regional Arts Council, 2013 Arts Organization