We support the arts to strengthen the cultural, educational, and economic vitality of our state.
Who We Fund
We provide funding for quality arts programming to eligible applicants that include (but are not limited to) arts or arts education organizations, chambers of commerce, public libraries, government agencies, youth organizations, public school districts, private PK-12 schools, community arts organizations, social service organizations, colleges and universities, and religious organizations.
What We Fund
Missouri Arts Council funds may be used for artist fees, artist travel expenses, marketing arts events, project-related educational materials, and more. For detailed information on eligibility and fundable projects, consult the FY2024 Guide to Grants.
Where to Apply
Apply through our Online Grants Application and Management System. You will first need to register.
How to Get Help
For personalized help with your questions, ask one of our program specialists.
Our on-demand online grant information workshop covers the basics of our grants and is designed for people new to our application process. For more information, contact Executive Director Michael Donovan, 314-340-4740, 866-407-4752 toll-free main line, or email@example.com.
Applications for Annual Grants are accepted and award amounts are determined once a year. We award Annual Grants in the categories of arts councils, arts education, established institutions, folk arts, mid-sized arts organizations, organizations of color, partnership, and our largest grant program, discipline. Discipline includes dance, electronic media, festivals, literature, multidiscipline, music, theater, and visual arts.
For projects occurring July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024, the optional draft application deadline is January 30, 2023. Final applications must be submitted by February 27, 2023.
For more information, review the FY2024 Guide to Grants as well as the FY2024 Instructions for Annual Discipline Application or the FY2024 Guide to Arts Education Grants.
- FY24 Guide to Grants
- FY24 Guide to Arts Education Grants
- FY24 Guide to Off-Year Grants
- FY24 Instructions for Annual Discipline Application
- FY24 Guide to Partnership Grants (application by invitation only)
Express Grants are designed to encourage small and emerging arts organizations and organizations based in rural communities to seek financial assistance for arts activities.
Express Grants applications are accepted and award amounts are determined on a rolling basis throughout the year. We are currently accepting applications for Express Project and Express Touring programs for FY2023 (July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023).
The deadline for applications is the first Monday of the month, two months in advance of the month in which the project incurs expenses. For example, for a project that incurs expenses in May, the application must be received no later than the first Monday in March. If the first Monday is a holiday, the deadline is on Tuesday. We encourage organizations to submit applications early.
- FY23 Guide to Express Grants
- FY23 Instructions for Express Project Applications
- FY23 Guide to Arts Council Grants
- FY23 Guide to Arts Education Grants
- FY23 Guide to Big Yellow School Bus Grants
- FY23 Guide to Express Touring for Schools and Communities
The Interim Report, Grant Agreement, and Final Report are located in our Online Grants Application and Management System.
ATTENTION: Save the Invoice PDF document onto your computer, then open and complete the form. If you complete the invoice in a browser, you will lose the data, or the calculation function will not work properly. Also, make sure that you are using up-to-date Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.
- FY23 Grant Requirements Checklist
- FY23 Grant Management Handbook
- State Vendor System for Payment of Grants – Organizations new to the Missouri Arts Council, as well as those changing their legal name, address, or banking information, must register through MissouriBUYS.
- Changing an Organization’s Address (Mailing or Physical): Required Steps
- Changing an Organization’s Legal Name: Required Steps
- Sample Board List Template
- Sample Budget Detail
- Sample Budget Detail, Arts Education
- Sample Financial Statement – Required information includes assets and liabilities, fund balance, revenues, expenses, method of accounting (cash or accrual), and time period covered.
- Sample IRS Tax Exemption
- Sample Email to Governor and State Legislators
- Sample Email to Governor and State Legislators for Arts Education, Big Yellow School Bus, or School Touring Program
- Sample Missouri Annual Registration Report
- Sample MissouriBUYS Registration Form
- Sample W-9
In Fall 2023, we will accept new applications for the Missouri Touring Performers Directory. Interested artists should sign up for our emails here.
School Touring Qualified
Applications to become School Touring Qualified are accepted throughout the year. The selection process for becoming School Touring Qualified is independent of the process for being listed on the Missouri Touring Performers Directory. Applicants for School Touring Qualified need not apply for or already be listed on the Missouri Touring Performers Directory.
When your organization publicly recognizes Missouri Arts Council funding, you help us obtain the state and federal funds that support your organization.
Organizations that receive our funding must recognize our support wherever possible with the inclusion of our logo and this credit line: With public support from the Missouri Arts Council, a state agency. Communications methods where our logo and credit line should appear may include news releases, print publications, advertising, and online presences including your social media and website.
On Facebook, please tag us with @Missouri Arts Council. On Twitter, tag us with @MoArtsCouncil. On your website, in the credit line and/or on the logo, link to our website (https://www.missouriartscouncil.org).
Verbal acknowledgement should be given whenever there are no printed or online materials and during any interviews with the media.
When federal funding is indicated on your grant agreement, your organization must also credit the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) for support.
Missouri Arts Council logo
To download our logo in JPG, PNG, and Adobe Illustrator formats, see Guidelines and Downloads for Missouri Arts Council Logos.
National Endowment for the Arts logo and credit requirements
To check on the NEA’s credit requirements and download the NEA logo in JPG, PNG, and EPS formats, see the NEA’s website.